All Hazards Emergency Preparedness Brochure - 2017 (Accomack/Northampton Counties)
Shelters will be open on an "as needed" basis.
Shelter openings will be announced on local radio stations. You cannot enter a shelter until it is open.
During a wind related event, such as a Hurricane, Northampton County will not open any shelters.
All Northampton County residents will be directed to an Accomack County shelter,
Nandua Middle School in Onley, will probably be the shelter utilized, once they open.
All Hazards Emergency Preparedness Z-Card - 2016 (Northampton County)
Emergency Operations Plan (2012)
Eastern Shore Oil & HazMat Response Plan (2014)
Eastern Shore Hazardous Materials Commodity Flow Study (2014)
Eastern Shore Health District Pandemic Influenza Plan (2009)
Radiological Emergency Response Plan - Ingestion Exposure Pathways (2013)
Hazard Mitigation Plan (2016)
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and Medical Reserve Corp (MRC)
Emergency Contact Information
Evacuation Plan / Surge Maps
Local Emergency Planning Committee / Eastern Shore Disaster Preparedness Coalition
Plan Ahead and Prepare
Emergency Supply Kit
Evacuation - Preparing
Family Disaster Planning
Food and Water Needs
Special Needs - Planning Considerations
Special Needs REGISTRY
American Red Cross
Delmarva Emergency Task Force
Eastern Shore Amateau Radio
Eastern Shore Regional Hazmat Team
Hampton Roads Emergency Management Committee
National Weather Service
Virginia Department of Emergency Management
The Department of Emergency Management (EM) coordinates efforts to ensure the County is able to mitigate, prepare for, respond to and recover from any type of natural or man-caused disaster. The County uses an all hazards approach to emergency preparedness, which means planning efforts consider all types of natural and man-caused disasters that could occur in the County.
The county's emergency management system is outlined in the State Code. The County Administrator is the Director of Emergency Management and the EMS Director is designated as the Coordinator of Emergency Management. Day-to-day operations and activities are coordinated by the Coordinator of Emergency Management.
- To foster and encourage emergency planning and the development of operating plans, annexes, and procedures for the county.
- To advocate programs that mitigate against the impacts and consequence of disasters.
- To coordinate the response to large scale emergencies requiring the activation of the County's Emergency Management System and Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- To coordinate issues and foster planning associated with recovery activities after the disaster.
- To ensure that the county regularly exercises their response to disasters and receives the proper training to better prepare for disasters.
- To provide and support the dissemination of emergency public information to foster the community's awareness and preparedness.
- To maintain liaison and relationships with local, regional, state, and federal allied agencies that deal with emergencies.
Hollye Carpenter, Coordinator